[GRASS-stats] R interface to grass 7.1

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jun 4 13:57:53 PDT 2015

On 06/04/2015 09:44 PM, Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2015, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is:
>>>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2015#Neweasy-to-usecommandlineinterfaceforGRASSGIS
>>>

>>> is it? Did it get accepted - I don't see this on:
>>>
>>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/show/google/gsoc2015/osgeo
>>>
>>> and think that only improved metadata got funded.
>>
>> This is true as far as I know, but it seems that Vaclac took it in
>> his own hands to code the initial stages and he checked it into the
>> GRASS 7.1 source.
>>
>> I installed GRASS 7.1 from source using homebrew (the formula is in a
>> pending pull request) and I could execute the examples fine.
>>
>>> Do we know what the actual status is on this?
>>
>> The
>>
>> ,----
>> | grass71 MAPSET --exec THE GRASS COMAND WITH WHATEVER COMES NOW
>> `----
>>
>> is working, but I don't know if it has been tested a lot. For testing,
>> the sp collection could help as there are already examples which one
>> could run.
>>
>> Otherwise - no idea - but it seems to be going forward.
>>
>>> I'd feel that this could be a variant in rgrass7 if it becomes
>>> available,
>>
>> Yes - some changes and getting rid of the initialisation of the GRASS
>> session, and only provide the path to the grass71 executable.
>>
>>> but I'm not sure how it would expose the interface description.

>> grass71 --exec g.list --interface-description
>>
>> I just tried it out.
>>
>> or, maybe safer,

>> grass71 PATH/TO/MAPSET --exec g.list --interface-description
>>
>> This is only the first stage, and Vaclac seems to be very much open to
>> suggestions and discussion on which direction this should go.
>>
>> The discussion is on grass-user.
>>
>> It seems that you are planning to move the sp packages to github - is
>> this true?
>
> Just on this, no, I will give up maintaining if anyone moves the main sp
> repository to git, and especially github, which is a proprietory
> corporation. Git is a bad choice going forward, as the important
> "responsibility" element is pulverised (good for projects with very
> strong brands, so someone will be responsible, probably bad for projects
> without strong brands with few active developers and lots of users
> sitting on their hands). Git is usable, and can be used like svn or
> similar centralised repositories, but is several steps backward IMO.
> It's got popular through github because projects avoid having to host
> their own repos. We'll see whether PROJ.4 falls apart after migration to
> github (it's very weak already). Github mostly attracts on coolness,
> which is often orthogonal to productive work.
>
> Roger

I have less problems with github, and so sp might migrate one day. Right
now, Roger and I do the majority of the work on sp, so svn on r-forge
makes most sense. Contributors send patches, or code snippets in email.

Once I see an easy way to use travis-ci for the full check on all of
sp's reverse dependencies I will adopt that, at the cost of having to
keep git and svn synced. Right now this check [*] takes me an absurd
amount of time.

[*] I now use:

library(sp)
demo(depend)

--
Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics (ifgi),  University of Münster,