[GRASS-stats] R interface to grass 7.1

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 5 01:12:44 PDT 2015

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

> On 06/04/2015 09:44 PM, Roger Bivand wrote:

>>> This is true as far as I know, but it seems that Vaclac took it in
>>> his own hands to code the initial stages and he checked it into the
>>> GRASS 7.1 source.
>>>
>>> I installed GRASS 7.1 from source using homebrew (the formula is in a
>>> pending pull request) and I could execute the examples fine.

>>> The
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> is working, but I don't know if it has been tested a lot. For testing,
>>> the sp collection could help as there are already examples which one
>>> could run.
>>>
>>> Otherwise - no idea - but it seems to be going forward.

>>> Yes - some changes and getting rid of the initialisation of the GRASS
>>> session, and only provide the path to the grass71 executable.

>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> grass71 --exec g.list --interface-description
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>
>>> I just tried it out.
>>>
>>> or, maybe safer,
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> grass71 PATH/TO/MAPSET --exec g.list --interface-description
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>
>>> This is only the first stage, and Vaclac seems to be very much open to
>>> suggestions and discussion on which direction this should go.
>>>
>>> The discussion is on grass-user.
>>>
>>> It seems that you are planning to move the sp packages to github - is
>>> this true?
>>
>> Just on this, no, I will give up maintaining if anyone moves the main sp
>> repository to git, and especially github, which is a proprietory
>> corporation. Git is a bad choice going forward, as the important
>> "responsibility" element is pulverised (good for projects with very
>> strong brands, so someone will be responsible, probably bad for projects
>> without strong brands with few active developers and lots of users
>> sitting on their hands). Git is usable, and can be used like svn or
>> similar centralised repositories, but is several steps backward IMO.
>> It's got popular through github because projects avoid having to host
>> their own repos. We'll see whether PROJ.4 falls apart after migration to
>> github (it's very weak already). Github mostly attracts on coolness,
>> which is often orthogonal to productive work.
>>
>> Roger
>
> I have less problems with github, and so sp might migrate one day. Right
> now, Roger and I do the majority of the work on sp, so svn on r-forge
> makes most sense. Contributors send patches, or code snippets in email.
>
> Once I see an easy way to use travis-ci for the full check on all of
> sp's reverse dependencies I will adopt that, at the cost of having to
> keep git and svn synced. Right now this check [*] takes me an absurd
> [...]

Using _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=FALSE helps. I update/install the packages
to check first (which draws in their c("Depends", "Imports",
"LinkingTo")), and in checking rgeos and rgdal have reduced run times
greatly. I also fell into the trap of setting recursive=TRUE, but that is
not needed, as only packages referring to the target arguably need to be
tested (if a package suggesting a package that suggests sp itself doesn't
declare its relying on sp say for plotting something, it is in error).
Almost all the errors turn out to be errors in the packages that are not
caused by changes in the target, but rather careless coding or examples
(typically unprotected library/require).

Should we set up a docker instance (or just a shell script) to run sp (and
other) dependency checks nightly? I think the hard part is summarizing the
findings. Project for Avignon?

Roger

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rainer

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no