[GRASS translations] Re: simple chinese translation

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Mar 9 08:30:46 EST 2005

Hi Liangxu Wang,

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:58:55PM +0800, wlx wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>      Sorry for a later reponse.
>      We prepaire to start the simple chinese translation now.  Firstly, I
> want to download the latest po files,  and  go to
> http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/locale/po/, but I don't know
> which file is the English version, so where can I get the latest English po
> files?

You can simply download another language (for example the two files
in German) and rewrite the translation. These files contain the english
messages as well, you would "simply" replace the German text with
chinese.

Please take care to
- set up the language in the settings
- set up the encoding (UTF8?) properly

> Secondly, I am planing use poEdit to do the translation as some of us
> use the windows operating system, are there any problems with this solution?
> Or any other more efficiency solution?

This should be fine.

An efficient solution might be to do one step in Linux with kbabel
before asking your colleages to help with poEdit (which I don't know):

You can download existing .po files from  KDE translator center,
http://i18n.kde.org/teams/) for your language and load them into
Kbabel:
    KBABEL -> SETTINGS -> CONFIGURE DIRECTORY -> PO AUXILIARY

Then there is a "rough translation" feature which will auto-translate
as many words as possible. Maybe it doesn't work well for your
language, but for Italian it was a nice trick.

Then save the file and continue with poedit.

Best regards

 Markus Neteler