[GRASS-translations] UTF-8 or ISO?

Robert Szczepanek grass at szczepanek.pl
Wed Mar 12 12:59:45 EDT 2008

Martin Landa-2 wrote:

>>  > Which *.po files coding standard is recommended now?
>>  > UTF or ISO?
>>  > I continue polish translation (i.e. UTF-8 and ISO-8859-2).
>>

> Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:
>>
>>> UTF-8.
>>>  It was an error when russian translation was switched from UTF-8 to
>>> KOI8-R.
>>>  In most of the projects there is a tendency to switch to utf-8.
>>>  Also, UTF-8 becomes default system locale. (For ru_RU at least.)
>>
> e.g. Po files for Czech translation are using iso-8859-2, but it
> doesn't mean that cs_CZ.UTF8 do not work. It is just question of po
> file encoding AFAIU.
>
> Martin

Thank you guys for anwers.
Following the tendency described by Egor, my first step working with Poedit
was selection of UTF as default coding. Then I realized that due to my
conversion of *.po files from ISO to UTF most of translation was treated as
"changes".
After that I checked if it is possible to switch again to ISO without major
problems. And it works.
So probably this is not so important issue at the moment...

Robert