[GRASS-translations] Re: grass-translations Digest, Vol 32, Issue 4

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 25 16:58:41 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> Nikos:
>
> Markus N:
>> > What is their license policy? GPL compliant? No shift of ownership?
>> > This was the problem for years with launchpad rosetta, later they
>> > changed their license model.
>
> Nikos:
>> In fact, if I am not doing a big mistake, it is a GPL-ed open source
>> piece of software. The (attached) file "LICENSING" is to be found along
>> with the source code of transifex [3].
>
> Indeed, it is GPL (I got an additional reply from a dev of Transifex).
> See also [4]. Also, according to the dev the problem you describe above
> (wrt to rosetta) does not exist in Transifex.

Indeed, I have taken a look (and registered myself): it looks very promising.
Read also
http://lwn.net/Articles/325311/

According to
http://www.transifex.net/faq/#heading_toc_j_7

we just need to ask to become registered. Should we try? The beauty
seems to be that the system sends updates upstream which was the
key issue I have with pootle and others (imagine 16 persons contributing
one sentence each to 7 different languages, it would become a merge
hell for the translation manager). Dirty work should be done by the
computer :)

I may be all wrong, just interpreting web pages and such (and thanks to
Milena for her detailed pootle comments!). Maybe http://open-tran.eu/ could
be linked to transifex.net?

Markus