Naive question on MSS data

Neel Smith nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu
Thu Apr 16 09:44:10 EDT 1992

I'm a new GRASS user -- please pardon me if this is an obvious, or frequent
question, but I can't seem to find an answer in the documentation or
tutorials for GRASS 4.0.

I've got MSS data I want to bring into a GRASS database.  Because of the
configuration of our system here, I don't have direct access to the tape
they came on:  instead, system manager moved the files from tape to
disk with dd.  i.tape.mss.h extracts some information if given the
file name in place of the device name, but never seems to end (as if
it never finds EOF?);  similarly, i.tape.mss doesn't get anywhere if I
try to sneak the file name in place of a tape drive name.  Is there some
better way to bring this data into my database?

Thanks for any help.  Please send to me personally if this is an idiotic
question the whole list shouldn't be bothered with.

Neel Smith
Bowdoin College
nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu