Naive question on MSS data

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Apr 20 10:34:33 EDT 1992

|I've got MSS data I want to bring into a GRASS database.  Because of the
|configuration of our system here, I don't have direct access to the tape
|they came on:  instead, system manager moved the files from tape to
|disk with dd.  i.tape.mss.h extracts some information if given the
|file name in place of the device name, but never seems to end (as if
|it never finds EOF?);  similarly, i.tape.mss doesn't get anywhere if I
|try to sneak the file name in place of a tape drive name.  Is there some
|better way to bring this data into my database?

These programs were written assuming 9track tape - and it is a major
assumption. You won't be able to use i.tape.mss on a file. However, with
some experimentation you could use i.tape.other on the file. You will
have to "figure" out what size a record is so you can tell i.tape.other
how to read the file and extract clean rows. I don't know the actual
layout of the mss data or I would tell you what numbers to plug in.

Michael