No subject

Pam Sydelko sydelko at camelot.es.anl.gov
Fri Apr 24 11:01:45 EDT 1992

Nancy,
X-windows, we are using MacX on our Macintoshes and Openwindows on
the Sun SparcStation.  GRASS runs fine, but it is about half as fast
as the time on the Sparc.  We have not yet tried using GRASS with PC-
X-Windows.  I would expect the time would be no better on the PCs.
It wasn't too bad setting up MacX.  We all have Macs on our desks and
using MacX to access GRASS gives us many more GRASS workstations for
a good price!  If you proceed to use your Mac IIcx for this purpose
and run in to trouble, feel free to contact me.

Pamela (Thompson) Sydelko
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 S. Cass Ave. - ES/372
Argonne, Il  60439
Phone: 708-252-6727  Fax: 708-252-6407
Email:  sydelko at camelot.es.anl.gov

1)  I have access to a Macintosh IIcx running System 7 and having Xodus (sp?)
	which allows it to use X-windows.  (I am a PC
	user by habit and am not sure of these terms.)  This Mac is
	connected to our Network.  GRASS is on a Sun Sparcstation which
	has Open Windows (and soon will have Motif) and which is on this
	Network also.  Does anyone know how GRASS will run if I use
	the Mac to tie into the Network GRASS?  Slow? Well? How would it
	compare to a PC with PC-X-Windows? to an X-terminal?  Please
	forgive my ignorance, I think I have Mac-phobia....

    Also, is there any particular monitor I should have to use it well?