your mail

Don Baird baird at bml4380.cpg.cdc.com
Fri Apr 24 12:18:42 EDT 1992

Pam,

You recently responded to MacX question:

> Nancy,
> X-windows, we are using MacX on our Macintoshes and Openwindows on
> the Sun SparcStation.  GRASS runs fine, but it is about half as fast
> as the time on the Sparc.

Is this running GRASS on the Sparc in both cases, with just display differences
causing the 'half as fast' measurement?

> We have not yet tried using GRASS with PC-
> X-Windows.  I would expect the time would be no better on the PCs.

We have setup and used several PC's configured with 3Com Ethernet cards, PC/TCP
and VistaExceed Plus (from Control Data), and received very acceptable
performance.  The paint speeds seem comparable to workstation, but I don't have
and definitive timings.  Think Doug Brooks is working on performance profiles
as we speak.  The PC window management capabilities are the only drawback -
that is moving a window on the screen, etc.  Those actions are not instanteous,
as they are on an X-terminal or workstation.  Other than that, X on a PC does
also offer good bang for the buck.

> Pamela (Thompson) Sydelko
> Argonne National Laboratory
> 9700 S. Cass Ave. - ES/372