Ground Vegetation Index

Cristina Isabel Seabra [Ambiente] cis at terra.fct.unl.pt
Mon Dec 14 10:33:48 EST 1992

Hello GRASS users!

I've been trying to classify a LANDSAT TM image in terms of land use.
I think it would be interesting to have a Ground Vegetation Index map and combine it with
2 other bands. I've used r.mapcalc to define the GVI. What I did was:
GVI = (band4 - band3) / (band4 + band3) but the result I get is a map with only 2
categories (-1 and 1). Shouldn't this GVI layer created by r.mapcalc have more
information or am I doing something wrong when I write the expression in r.mapcalc?
Is there someone that can help me in this matter?

Thanks,

Cristina Seabra
New University of Lisbon
Lisbon, Portugal