GRASS Xdriver

Jim Westervelt westerve at arctic.urban.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 19 13:41:39 EST 1992

Katarina Johnsson writes:
# We are running GRASS on SUN sparc 2's with 24 bit displays.
# We use openwindows3.0 (beta version) and XDRIVER and XGRASS to
# display GRASS cell files.
# Do these drivers only support fixed colortables (256 colors)?

Yes, the existing XDRIVER works on 8-bit-plane systems only.  As more users
are able to purchase the 24 bit plane systems it is important to see someone
rework (maybe easier to recreate) an XDRIVER that works for all the
graphics systems that X supports.  As of this time none yet exists - nor do
I know of any that is imminent.   What an opportunity!
Jim Westervelt
Environmental Division                 Department of Urban and Regional Planning
Construction Engineering Research Lab  907 1/2 W. Nevada
P.O. Box 9005                          Urbana, Ill.  61821
Champaign, Ill.  61826-9005        email:westerve at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu