Grass , LAT-LON coordinates and s.in.ascii

Dave Gerdes dpgerdes at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Thu Jul 9 10:09:29 EDT 1992

> From: Peter "A." Dyce <swsdyce at susssys1.rdg.ac.uk>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 02:25:42 BST
> To: grassu-list at amber.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: Grass , LAT-LON coordinates and s.in.ascii
>

> Is it possible to enter LAT-LON coordinates with s.in.ascii
>
> I have a mapset coveering the whole of the African continent
> so the usual projections aren't too useful I've attempted to enter rainfall
> station locations using s.in.ascii with decimalised lat and lon coordinates.
>
> Grass copes with negative longitude after a fashion (points fall into an interesting grid like pattern)
> but not with negtive latitude ( points appear to plot at the equator in a line )

This should work and I just tested it with our lat/lon database.
Is there a space between the negative sign and the number?

> Perhaps I need to talk to an Australian Grass Guru.
>
> Please Has anyone tried this before or am I pushing the limits
> ( I don't beleive I typed that.)
>
> Any advise gladly received.
>
> peter dyce     operations manager tamsat meteorology reading

As for your next message requesting info on GRASS Ascii vector format,
you can get the file  /doc/misc/asc_vect_fmt.tar  from anonymous ftp
on moon.cecer.army.mil

--

  Dave Gerdes
  US Army Construction Engineering Research Lab
  dpgerdes at cerl.cecer.army.mil
  (217) 352-6511 x591