grass4.0.cpio.Z corrupt?

jack hurlbut hurlbut at steer.sdsu.edu
Tue Jul 14 13:14:15 EDT 1992

        I had the same problem in June so I tried ftp with the uncompressed
file and cpio gave me a "files out of sync" error message. I used vi and looked at the file and found a section that had a lot of junk (massive quantities of
control characters and gibberish). I know that a cpio file has some information that
that doesn't make sense to the human eye but this exceeded what was in the file
in regions prior to the error messagfe. It looked kloike transmission errors, so I
kept ftp'ing until I recieved a copy that would uncompress withpotout problems.
It took about 6 or 7 triestimes which surprised me . I thought ftp had error correctionor
correction - it makes me wonder about the integrity of the files . Even if
uncompresses without errors being announced is the data error free of transmission
corruption? I'll be compiling thiit this week so I will find out. If it looks like
there was a problem with the source code being mangled in transit I'll mention
it on-line.
	jack hurlbut