r.mapcalc

jrk6f at uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU jrk6f at uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU
Mon Nov 9 11:07:36 EST 1992

Does anyone out there know how to use r.mapcalc (or r.infer) to
reclassify a map showing distinct clumps of vegetation that are
both inside and outside of a national park.

I started by using r.clump to get +/- 600 clumps of different
vegetation types

Then I added the clumped values (1 to 600) to the ownership map
to identify clumps that are both inside and outside the park.

Is there anyway to use r.mapcalc to show which clumps are:
1:  totally outside the park
2:  partially inside and partially outside
3:  totally inside the park

The only way I figured out to do this was to add 1000 to the
clumped values.

Those clumps that are totally inside the park are >1000
Those clumps that are totall outside the park are <600
Those clumps that are both inside the park and outside the park
will have a value less than 600 and >1000 (e.g. clump 2 and 1002
or clump 458 and clump 1458 will be both in and out of the park)

Short of using r.reclass, is there a different way to identify
those clumps tahat are partially inside and outside -- I may need
to do this on maps with more than 6000 clumps!

Thank you
Jim Klein
jrk6f at uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU
University of Virginia