g.region

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Nov 9 12:22:42 EST 1992

It doesn not make sense (in GRASS) to change the zone. GRASS works on the
assumption that all maps (raster, vector, sites) in a location, not only in
a mapset, share the same coordinate system. Thus g.region will not allow
changing the UTM zone.

You can bypass this protection since all the support files for raster
and region information are ascii files. You can edit these files and
manual vchange the zone. But you may confuse GRASS if you mix zones
and don't get all relevant files changed to this zone.

It is better to create a new location for zone 29. GRASS location
creation happens when you select a databse that doesn't exist. GRASS
will ask you if you want to create a new location and if so, if it is UTM
(among other choices), and if it is UTM it will ask you for the zone.
etc. Create the location and put your zone 29 maps in their proper places
under the mapset directores.

|Hello,
|
|I would like to know if it is possible to change the zone in the g.region
|command.
|I managed to change the  North, South, West and East coordinates and also the
|resolution. The zone it is with is 16, but I'm working with a Landsat image
|from the south of Portugal that is in zone 29. So can anybody help me??
|
|Thanking in advance
|
|Cristina Seabra
|New University of Lisbon
|Lisbon, Portugal
|

|cis at fct.unl.pt

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at amber.cecer.army.mil  Office of GRASS Integration
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005