d.colors

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Nov 9 13:48:14 EST 1992

Strictly speaking, if you modify the color table, the original is
lost.  However with 4.0 the color lookup files (under colr/) have
a new format and a new color lookup logic. It is no longer  color
per  category  but  a  linear  "rule" for a ranges of categories.
d.colors will add new rules to the end of the color  table.   The
colors  defined  last  in the color file take precedence over the
first.  So if you can figure out where d.colors  started  putting
in  new  colors  you  can  edit the colr/ file and take ourt what
d.colors put in. Of course if you keeps backups ....

Can you recreate the problem: "I  modified  a  color  table  with
d.colors  and  saved  the new colortable.  When I redisplayed the
map the colortable was not exactly the one I had created"  so  we
can  see  what  you see. What values are in the raster file file,
and what was the color table before you and after d.colors?

|I modified a color table with d.colors and saved the new colortable.
|When I redisplayed the map the colortable was not exactly the one I
|had created.  I looked at the colortable and it did not have a one to
|one mapping of colors to category values.  It looked more like ranges.
|How do I save a colortable that is exactly the one I have created
|with d.colors?
|
|I also switched back to a rainbow colortable and now would like to
|switch back to the one I created.  How do I do this?  I have tried to
|pass the colortable to the r.colrs rules option, bu the format is
|wrong.
|
|Thanks in advance for the advice.
|
|edwin at hwr.arizona.edu

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at amber.cecer.army.mil  Office of GRASS Integration
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005