What's wrong with the ftp ?

Kenneth R. Brownfield brownfld at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Sun Nov 15 00:40:09 EST 1992

The following piece was composed and performed by Elwin Koster:
|Dear Grass,
|I am trying to ftp to max and moon, but the dir / ls command is not working.
|(this is also told in the first text that appears after login)

     This is a well-known and unfortunately on-going problem.  Try the command
repeatedly, with different flags, etc..  An alternative that I've created is
a frequently updated file called ls-lR.Z in the /grass directory.  Get this
file by typing "get ls-lR" and read the file at your own leisure.  Luckily the
cd command works, so you can pre-plan your ftp site retreivals.
     This file also exists in /grass/grass4.0/updates for the updates directory
alone, considering there are relatively more files in the updates directory
than other directories (combined.)

|The address of the postmaster seems to be incorrect (?), so I try it this way

     This is also a well-known and unfortunately on-going problem.  Both
problems have been reported.  In any case, the proper (and functioning) GRASS
archive administration address is grass-ftp-admin at moon.cecer.army.mil for GRASS
archive file related problems _only_ (e.g., where are specific files, what is
the organization,) and ftp-admin at moon.cecer.army.mil for FTP _site_ problems
such as the ls problem, or the faulty postmaster address in the anonymous
FTP banner.  The README file in the /grass directory has a useful list of
OGI email addresses.
     Both addresses send their mail to me (as well as others.)  My
administrative powers over the FTP site itself are limited, but I'll do my
best to help.

--
                                                          Ken.
                                                brownfld at cecer.army.mil
Kenneth R. Brownfield                    grass-lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil
Office of GRASS Integration,              grass-ftp-admin at moon.cecer.army.mil
United States Army Corps of Engineers             (217) 352-6511 x526
Construction Engineering Research Laboratories    (217) 373-7222 <fax