PC/Unix platform for GRASS!

Doug Brooks brooks at vinny.cecer.army.mil
Fri Nov 20 10:54:21 EST 1992

There is a product on the market now that we have been particulary interested
in lately and have just gotten one installed.  It is a board set from Opus
that plugs into a PC bus.  This board set contains SPARC RISC processors and
for all intents and purposes, is an actual Sun Workstation.  The boards come
in two flavors, SPARCard 1 & SPARCard 2.

We have some of the SPARCard 2 sets here which has the identical processing
specs as the Sun Sparc 2 computer does.  It is actually the same chip.  This
product is particulary interesting in that you have all of the funtionality
of the Sun Sparc 2 system while at the same time having access to the PC/DOS.

Both the DOS and the UNIX are running at the same time.  You simply 'hot-key'
between the two different operating systems.  Since the OPUS card is entirely
self-contained, it doesn't rely on DOS and vice-versa.  This is a major
improvement over UNIX which simply has a DOS shell in it.  For users needing
access to both DOS & UNIX, this is the best solution that I have come across.

++  Doug Brooks                     ++  Internet Address:             ++
++  U.S. Army Corps of Engineers    ++  brooks at cecer.army.mil         ++
++  Champaign, IL                   ++  Phone: (217) 373-4433         ++