Aggregation problems

GREGORY JOHNSON gjohnson at asrr.arsusda.gov
Fri Oct 9 18:54:00 EDT 1992

We are trying to aggregate cells (say 3x3 or 10x10) and compute
an average for that entire area.  Our goal was to simply average the
elevation values of the 9 or 100 (or whatevernumber) of cells (from
a 30 m DEM), but we are having difficulty doing this.  r.neighbor
allows averaging but this is computed for every cell, whereas we
would like a true average over this area, and that one value then
assigned to the entire 3x3 or 9x9 area.
If anyone has done this we would greatly appreciate your assistance.
Greg Johnson
USDA-ARS, Boise Idaho