r.surf.contour time to run?

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Sep 15 11:03:27 EDT 1992

r.surf.contour is taking a major hit from system page faults. The large
the map the worse it will get. If you have the vector contours, then
get v.out.point and s.surf.tps from the ftp site moon.cecer.army.mil
(IP# 129.229.20.254) and try these programs. v.out.point outputs a
vector map as a list of points (which define the arcs) which should be
piped into s.in.ascii to create a site list of these points. Then
s.surf.tps can be used to create a surface from the sites list.

|I'm trying to create a DEM from a rasterized topo map using r.surf.contour.
|Running on a DECStation 5000, it takes several days (3-4) to work out
|a 400 by 400 pixel area, even though it's getting from 50-75% of the
|cpu time!
|
|Is this possible?  I'm interested in looking at data that's a whole lot
|bigger than 400 by 400 pixels!  Is there some better way to get a DEM
|from a topo map?  Am I doing something wrong?
|
|Any advice appreciated!
|
|Neel Smith
|nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 352-6511  ext 526       P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005