greyscale experience

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Tue Sep 15 10:56:01 EDT 1992

Grey scale images are handled better in 4.1. (In colormode float).
The workaround for now is to rescale your data to a range
like 0-240. Try something like this:

	r.mapcalc 'tmp.image = #image'
	r.rescale input=tmp.image output=image.new to=0,240
	r.colors image.new color=grey

|I hope this isn't considered a repetitive if not uninformed question,
|but I am working with various grayscale images that taht are relatively
|detailed. The precision required for dealing with these images surpasses
|the 8-level greyscale we are presently dealing with. Apparently the drivers
|we have easily implement 256 colors, but only have an 8 greyscale bandwidth.
|Is this easy to overcome? Although I am becoming reasonably adept with
|GRASS, I do not pretend to be any sort of programmer. However, there is
|a need for enhanced precision, and I'm afraid I don't have a solution for it.
|
|   StStsteve Franklin

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 352-6511  ext 526       P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005