**problems with DESQview/X PC running GRASS, XDPYINFO

Laxmi Prasad Musunur mlp at forestry.auburn.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:00:10 EDT 1992

>|	We're trying to run GRASS on a PC running DESQview.
>|The problems experienced with old xdriver:
>|	1. Vector maps (even color) can be displayed without any problem.
>|But
>|	2. When we try to display a raster map, it gives a bunch of error
>|messages like,
>|	X Error (major opcode 72 -- XPutImage).  and the monitor dies!!
>|

>|Problems with new XDRIVER:(for GRASS running on a PC through DESQview)
>|
>|	1. When we start the monitor (d.mon start) it self it says
>|		"Color: Can't set color 0"
>|	2. When we try to display a color vector map it doesn't use the
>|assigned color (infact no color can be displayed at all)
>|
>|	3. When we try to display a raster map the monitor dies saying
>|		"Segmentation fault"
>|
>|Laxmi P. Musunur (LP)

>If you have the command xdpyinfo, run that and send the output from this
>command to the list. The GRASS XDRIVER assumes that the Default Visual
>is PsuedoColor, and I would like to see if that is true for you server.
>xdpyinfo is a command I use to dump a lot of info about the X Server
>and among this is info about all visuals you serve supports.

	Here is the xdpyinfo for my X server: thankyou .. Laxmi P. Musunur (LP)
 xdpyinfo for DESQview/X PC

name of display:    131.204.43.37:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    DESQview/X (R), by Quarterdeck Office Systems
vendor release number:    100
maximum request size:  4096 longwords (16384 bytes)
motion buffer size:  0
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    8, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 4, bits_per_pixel 4, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 124
number of extensions:    2
    SHAPE
    Quarterdeck Extensions
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    800x600 pixels (240x180 millimeters)
  resolution:    85x85 dots per inch
  depths (2):    1, 4
  root window id:    0x80067
  depth of root window:    4 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x80065
  default number of colormap cells:    16
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 15
  current input event mask:    0x70003c
    ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask
    LeaveWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
    PropertyChangeMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x80064
  visual:
    visual id:    0x80064
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    4 planes
    size of colormap:    16 entries
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits