rs6000 memory problems

jrk6f at uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU jrk6f at uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU
Tue Sep 22 11:09:21 EDT 1992

There have been several inquiries to the list about memory
problems running GRASS on an RS6000.  I might have missed any
answers posted so I hope you dont mind responding again

We have installed GRASS on an RS6000 model 340 with 128mb of ram
600 mb of swap space and the /tmp have about 130mb open.  We are
running AIX 3.2

We are trying to set up GRASS in a new lab in our Library using
the NCD X-terminals connected to the RS6000.  Due to time
constraints we used the YOUNG MINDS CD to install GRASS.

After installation we get the following problems:

1. OUT OF MEMORY:
d.vect park.auth c=black
Vector file [park.auth]

Selected information from dig header
 Map Name:      New Authorized Boundary
 Source Date:   January 92
 Orig. Scale:   24000

 North: 4321250
 South: 4193600
 East:  774900
 West:  673150

Initializing [park.auth] ... Out of Memory.

This is the error message that shows when trying to display large
vector files

2. OUT of MEMORY (again)

This is the error message when running v.digit (digitizing)

"Shall we continue? [y] y

| Graphics set.Out of Memory.

3. OUT of MEMORY (again)

Mapset <PERMANENT> in Location <snp735>
GRASS-GRID > v.to.rast input=abound output=abound.vtr

Out of Memory.

Has anyone solved this mystery yet?

Jim Klein
University of Virginia