surface from topo map?

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Thu Sep 24 23:43:39 EDT 1992

You could get s.surf.tps (a new tool) from moon.cecer.army.mil
under grass/grass4.0/src.alpha/sites/s.surf.tps. You will need to
convert your rasterixzed topo map to a sites list:
	r.stats -1gzq <map> | s.in.ascii <map>

The run s.surf.tps on the sites list. There is a manual page in the
source code (which you can either try to run thru nroff or
read around the nroff commands).

|I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has ever made an elevation surface
|from a rasterized topo map.
|
|I have tried nearly everything I can think of in GRASS, without success.
|r.surf.contour has a bug, it seems, that makes it fatally slow.  (Months
|of cpu time for the area I would like to make a surface for.)
|
|I have been unable to get r.surf.idw to run without core dumping.
|r.surf.idw2 runs sporadically, and also core dumps frequently.
|
|I'm running under ultrix 4.2 on DEC hardware;  the data is in a utm coordinate
|system.
|
|ANY advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
|
|Neel Smith
|nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu

Michael Shapiro                        U.S. Army CERL
email:   shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil  Environmental Division
phone:   (217) 373-7277                P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005