Hydrologic Modeling and GRASS

Okke Batelaan batelaan at hydr1.vub.ac.be
Wed Apr 14 07:35:03 EDT 1993

>1. What model are you using with GRASS?

I am working on the integration of groundwaterflow models in GRASS.
I wrote in C a one layer regional groundwaterflow model as a GRASS program.

>2. Which data structure is more suited to the process, Vector or Raster?

The model uses GRASS raster maps as input (topography, pumping data, net precipitation and hydraulic conductivity values) and produces raster output maps like groundwaterlevel and distribution of infiltration and groundwater discharge areas.

>3. What tools need to be developed in order to make GRASS more useable for
>	hydrologic modeling?

The main problem in the development for this program was the lack in GRASS
of foating point support. This makes simulations and storage of data very
cumbersome.
I hope that the floating point can be included in GRASS as soon as possible.

For the moment therefore, I prefer to work with a 3 layer groundwater model
beside the GRASS environment. The groundwater model also has a flow tracing
module. In this case GRASS is used as an input/output processor.

I also told this in my presentation at the European GRASS users meeting,
2/4/93 in Genova, Italy.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Okke Batelaan                                  email: batelaan at hydr1.vub.ac.be
Laboratory of Hydrology                        tel:   x-32-2-6413021
Free University Brussels                       fax:   x-32-2-6413022
Pleinlaan 2
1050 BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
HHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYDDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOGGGGGYYYYYY