Sun Compilation warning messages

Raymond Venneker venn at geo.vu.nl
Fri Aug 6 12:22:29 EDT 1993

Hong-Jei Hong writes:

> 'Undefined _MAX for xgrass on SunOS4.1.1'
>
> I got an 'Undefined sysmbol' error when I compiled xgrass on SunOS4.1.1.
> under grass4.1/source/src/xgrass/menu.  I tries to 'grep _MAX' or 'grep MAX'
> over all souce codes under xgrass/menu and all possible include files, but
> nothing was found meaningful to me.  Please help.

lines deleted

> ld: Undefined symbol
>    _MAX
> *** Error code 2
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `/usr/local/grass4.1/source/etc/xgrass4.1.exe'
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/xgrass/menu

Did you get this far with Motif 1.2 ?  The MAX you're looking for is in
src/xgrass/libes/Xgi/Help.c. You can try putting in the following after
the #include lines:

#ifndef MAX
#define MAX(a,b) ((a) > (b) ? (a) : (b))
#endif

I tried to compile xgrass with SunOs 4.1.1 / Motif 1.2.2 a couple of
days ago. Especially in the Xgi lib all kinds of missing declarations
occurred. After finding out which headers were _not_ #included, putting
them in plus the above hack the whole thing compiled (except for and
undefined _Min _Max in xgbuffer). Now I can startup xgrass, xgdisplay,
etc., but as soon as I go into a buttonmenu (like help, quit, etc.) the
whole thing freezes and I have to kill it from another host. I decided
to blow off xgrass for the time being unless someone has a solution
other than 'use Motif 1.1'. Anyway, the only one that likes mice around
here is my cat.

Raymond Venneker -- Earth Sciences, Free University Amsterdam