Is the Grass ver 4.1 suitable for...

Bernd Munier bernd at ruc.dk
Thu Dec 9 05:18:13 EST 1993

Hello Anna

Welcome to the GRASS community from your friends at Roskilde University

I have 2 master degree students, using rectification and mosaicing of
a series of color airphotos to make an airphoto map of Amager south of
Copenhagen (if you remember).
GRASS is quite suitable for that job, and as Martijn mentioned, you can
do lots of image processing, classification etc. too.

If you have a somewhat hilly area, you might want to use orthophoto-
correction. GRASS provides a package to do this, and you need to have
access to a digital elevation modeL. I haven't had time to
test i, but some other membes of this list may have tried it.

You can find a tutorial on GRASS image processing at the GRASS ftp site.

Its moon.cecer.army.mil

The tutorials are (as far as I can see) still under grass4.0 under

grass/grass4.0/documents/tutorials/4.0

here you can find imagery.ps.Z and other tutorials.

As far as i remember, this does not contain the new GRASS facilities,
as defining ground control points based on an existing vector map (4.0
could only use keybord, screen raster map & digitising tablet as
input of reference points in output coordinate system. Ref. points
on your scanned airphotos you can point out interactively on the screen.

		Venlig hilsen & good luck

		Bernd Muenier
		Roskilde University
		Dept. of Geography & Data Science