'remote' monitors with XDRIVER?

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Dec 20 11:55:19 EST 1993

> Hi everybody
>
> The current thread about twelve students using GRASS reminded me
> of a problem we have: we run GRASS on a SUN (SunOS 4.x) and we would
> like to use it remotely on other machines (e.g. HP).
> GRASS itself is no problem - xterm works fine. However, we can't
> open a monitor. Is there any way of passing a DISPLAY argument
> to XDRIVER so the monitor window appears on the local machine?
>
> Any pointers welcome (including hacks to the XDRIVER code)?
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
> Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany
> Fax: ++49 431 8804054, Voice: ++49 431 8804474,
> email: ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de

Try:
setenv DISPLAY machine_name:0.0

(This is under C-shell. Use Bourne or Korn-shell equivelent as necessary. Don't
forget to make sure that the machine that you are attempting to display on has
permission set: xhost +machine_name )

--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159