'remote' monitors with XDRIVER?

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Mon Dec 20 15:24:11 EST 1993

On Mon, 20 Dec 1993, Martin Ameskamp wrote:

> The current thread about twelve students using GRASS reminded me
> of a problem we have: we run GRASS on a SUN (SunOS 4.x) and we would
> like to use it remotely on other machines (e.g. HP).
> GRASS itself is no problem - xterm works fine. However, we can't
> open a monitor. Is there any way of passing a DISPLAY argument
> to XDRIVER so the monitor window appears on the local machine?

I don't have a system set up where I can really test this properly, but I
would have thought that you could set the DISPLAY environment variable
before calling d.mon. You could put the variable assignment and the
d.mon-call in a subshell, say using shell parentheses. Let me know if that
doesn't work.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296