Inputting DEM data into GRASS

John Miller ccjwm at manta.jcu.edu.au
Mon Feb 8 23:15:43 EST 1993

 A novice question follows (apologies accompany).

 I have a number of files of DEM data for different areas of NE
 Australia (unfortunately not all in the same format but we'll
 ignore this for the moment).

 Let's take one group of files.  They consist of 10201 lines of
 ascii data, the fields being (separated by spaces):

 Longitude Latitude Elevation      (as in the following example
				    records)
    146.000  19.500   320
    146.005  19.500   313

    The increment in LAT and LONG between data points is 0.005
    degrees.

 My question:

    What is the best way to import this data into a GRASS
    mapset?   Is my only option to convert the data to a
    format suitable for r.in.ascii?

| John Miller           | Internet Mail - ccjwm at jcu.edu.au            |
| Computer Centre       | PSI Mail - PSI%050527372000051::J_MILLER    |
| James Cook University of North Queensland | Phone: +61 77 815447    |
| Townsville, 4811,  AUSTRALIA              | Fax:   +61 77 796371    |