Inputting DEM data into GRASS

Katarina Johnsson kjohnsso at alder.pfc.forestry.ca
Tue Feb 9 12:58:36 EST 1993

John Miller asks:
>  Let's take one group of files.  They consist of 10201 lines of
>  ascii data, the fields being (separated by spaces):
>
>  Longitude Latitude Elevation      (as in the following example
> 				    records)
>     146.000  19.500   320
>     146.005  19.500   313
>
>     The increment in LAT and LONG between data points is 0.005
>     degrees.
>
>  My question:
>
>     What is the best way to import this data into a GRASS
>     mapset?   Is my only option to convert the data to a
>     format suitable for r.in.ascii?

John,
You can import the data as sites, using s.in.ascii, and then convert it
to raster, using one of the options in s.menu. That's how I did it when
I imported DEM data for an area in British Columbia.

- Katarina

Katarina Johnsson			e-mail: kjohnsso at alder.pfc.forestry.ca
Advanced Forest Technology Lab		phone:  (604) 363-6017
Pacific Forestry Centre			fax:    (604) 363-0775
Forestry Canada
Victoria, BC