Inputting DEM data into GRASS

John Miller ccjwm at flying.jcu.edu.au
Tue Feb 9 22:50:51 EST 1993

Katarina writes:
>You can import the data as sites, using s.in.ascii, and then convert it
>to raster, using one of the options in s.menu. That's how I did it when
>I imported DEM data for an area in British Columbia.

Thank you for spending the time to reply to my request.  I tried
your suggestion.

s.in.ascii  worked fine as far as I can tell (once I worked out
that I had to make my Latitude values negative for the Southern
Hemisphere).  A line in the file looks like:

        146.005|-19.5|313

However, (isn't there always an however :-) I can't get s.menu
to work in the way I require.  I choose option 6 "Convert site
list to raster file (0/1)" and choose one cell per site.  The
resulting raster file seems to only have  zero values for the
elevations.
've tried editing the site_lists file to include a  #
character before the "description" field as suggested in the
manual, so that the line in the file shown above looks like:

        146.005|19.5|#313

This didn't seem to work either.

I checked the current region was correct with g.region.
Any clues?   Is there a problem concerning expressing the LAT/
LONG values in degrees and thousandths of degrees ?

| John Miller           | Internet Mail - ccjwm at jcu.edu.au            |
| Computer Centre       | PSI Mail - PSI%050527372000051::J_MILLER    |
| James Cook University of North Queensland | Phone: +61 77 815447    |
| Townsville, 4811,  AUSTRALIA              | Fax:   +61 77 796371    |