dem help

Dan Riker riker at rogue.geo.duke.edu
Wed Feb 10 11:50:54 EST 1993

Hello,
	We are using GRASS to read in dems and we will later manipulate them.  The problem lies in the extraction of these dems.  When we use the extract command, anerror message pops up, stating an error in the tape reading.  I think the dems are healthy, for they seem to be, visually, similar to those that I've seen in the past.  It is a new installation of GRASS, and we don't have a 1/2 inch drive attached to this computer directly.  We can employ a 1/2 inch drive through another computer, but it would be simpler to transfer it to a 8mm tape, which can be read in directly by this computer.  The error message came up using both drives for extractrion.  Is there a problem with our GRASS, or is there a problem with the format of the dem data?  The error message pops up soon after the extract command is issued, so it seems that the program could not get past the first line or so, which contains the name of the quadrangle.

Any insight on this problem would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks,		Dan Riker