updates.tar ?

Kenneth R. Brownfield brownfld at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Wed Feb 10 14:43:37 EST 1993

Neel Smith said:
|The README file in the updates directory on the moon says that it's
|possible to get all updates by ftp'ing a file /grass/grass4.0/updates.tar.
|Is this no longer supported?

     The ftp server that supports automatic tar-ing and decompression had an
"ls" bug that made navigating the ftp site difficult.  We changed to a version
of the server that did not support tar-ing (the updates.tar feature no longer
exists) but DID have a functional "ls" command for overseas connections.
     Now that GRASS v4.1beta will soon be released on the FTP site (no exact
dates, stay tuned) we will be moving over to the more user-friendly version
of the ftp server.  When we announce v4.1beta, the new ftp server (or, rather,
the old one) will be reinstalled.  Have I lost everyone yet?
     Until then, there is a file called updates.tar.Z that you can retreive
with the following commands on ftp:

cd /grass/incoming
type binary
get updates.tar.Z

     On your local Unix machine, you can uncompress and untar the file.  This
file will be removed when the user-friendly ftp server is installed.

     The system of placing bug fixes on the ftp site will go through some
major revamping, so hopefully the bulky process of obtaining updates (bug
fixes / functional additions) will be more or less eliminated.
     If you need any help, feel free to send me email to any of the addresses
below.

--
                                                          Ken.
                                                brownfld at cecer.army.mil
Kenneth R. Brownfield                    grass-lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil
Office of GRASS Integration,              grass-ftp-admin at moon.cecer.army.mil
United States Army Corps of Engineers           (217) 352-6511 ext. 526
Construction Engineering Research Laboratories    (217) 373-7222 <fax>
                                                  (800) USA-CERL <OGI>