X11 or openwin?

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 12 16:39:37 EST 1993

Do X monitor users runs grass under x11 or openwin
on suns?

I'm developing a display program and I've been
fighting our beloved X monitor. It has problems
flushing things out to the monitor (which supposedly
may be fixed by various calls to XFlush, XSync, and
R_stabilize at strategic locations in the program).

After tinkering around a bit, I've found that if I
use openwin with the stock window manager, the
problem goes away, but if I run MIT stuff,
I have the problem.

So, if potential users of this program don't use
X11R5 (as I do) but rather stick to openwin, I'll
give up on making the fix.

"What is this program?" you may ask. Well, it's a
scientific plotting program capable of plotting data
and functions as x-y graphs, (including semilog and
loglog), 3d surfaces (with hidden line removal),
contour plotting, both contours and surfaces (with
either surfaces suspended above contours or the
contours mapped onto the surface).  There's many
other capabilities too numerous to mention. One
important one though is: any plot/graph displayed on
the grass monitor can also be saved as a LaTeX,
troff (pic), or PostScript file (+loads of other
formats). Procedures to plot vector files, sites
lists, and raster files (as surfaces or contours)
have already been developed, so this may be an
alternative to Paint programs for users that want to
show off grass maps in their reports or articles.

No, I did not do all of this work myself, but I have
received permission from the authors to modify the
original program and distribute it with grass.

So let me know if there is a large contingency of
people who avoid openwin (I guess I'm assuming that
suns are the most popular hardware). I'll release
it for testing soon (I don't have access to anything
but suns, so I need some help in testing other
platforms).

--Darrell