Configuration Setup

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Jan 19 12:58:51 EST 1993

ask each user to do the following:

   install -d ~/grass/data     # or something appropriate
   cd ~/grass/data
   foreach location (/mcae/grass.data/*)
     if (-d $location) then
       mkdir $location
       cd $location
       foreach mapset ($location/*)
         if (-d $mapset) ln -s $mapset
       end
       cd ..
     endif
   end

Then, when they run grass, have them put their own directory
name when it asks for a DATABASE (e.g. /home/icil64/joe_user/grass/data).

The set of csh commands given above untested, but I think that you
can get the jist of what's going on. Try it out, package it up in a
shell script, and have each new grass user run it (maybe you could
even put a hook in GIS.sh to check for the existence of ~/.grassrc
to do this... oh, one is already there. just modify it:

|  if [ ! -f $GISRC ]
|  then
         set_up_stuff_for_icil64.csh # make users use their home dir for data
|        cat $ETC/gis_intro
|        echo ""
|        echo "Hit RETURN to continue"
|        read ans