projection problems

Stefan Jaeger ca4 at aixfile1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Jul 3 18:39:51 EDT 1993

Hello,

I have worked several months with an x,y projection in 4.0. I had to do this
because 4.0 did not support the transverse mercator projection in which
I had my data. Now I wanted to use v.proj to get maps in lat/lon
and digitized in arc/info into my location. I created a new location with ll
where I put the vector maps. I created another one with tmerc projection and
started v.proj. The idea was to copy those files under my old location with
the x,y, projection. The conversion went wrong. The programm said south is
smaller than north or somethimg similar. The problem was that I cannot set
the false easting value, i.e. the constant to add to the calculated
projected coordinates to avoid negative eastings. We use in Germany the
Gauss-Krueger projecion which is just a synonym for tmerc and all my
other maps have region boundaries with Gauss-Krueger values.  I tried the
projection programm in arc/info as well. I set the spheroid correctly.
Arc/info has the possibility to add a false easting value to the projected
coordinates. The result of this conversion was, that the projected easting
coordinates were shifted approx. 300m (!!) too far (northings were +-
corect).  I checked the results
with the proj4.1 programm which was absolutely correct. Here are my
questions:

1. Has anybody made similar experiences with v.proj. or with arc/info?
2. Is it possible to tell GRASS that all my x,y, maps are actually in
tmerc projection?

Any hints appreciated.

Stefan Jaeger
Dept. of Geogr.