DTED file format

Jim Ludwig ludwig at cs.washington.edu
Thu Jul 8 18:26:00 EDT 1993

I am very new to GRASS, and my first project has been to read in a
DTED file and do some stuff with it (which is irrelevant).

My problem is that I can't seem to be able to read in the DTED file.
I've tried a variety of things, and I believe my problem boils down to
this: I don't know where the header of the file ends and where the
data of the file begins.

Is anyone out there familiar with DTED files?  The manual seems to be
vague...  Knowing what to trim would be most helpful.

Thanks,
  jim