DTED file format

Greg Koerper greg at towhee.cor2.epa.gov
Thu Jul 8 19:01:59 EDT 1993

> From: ludwig at cs.washington.edu (Jim Ludwig)
> Subject: DTED file format
>
> I am very new to GRASS, and my first project has been to read in a
> DTED file and do some stuff with it (which is irrelevant).
>
> My problem is that I can't seem to be able to read in the DTED file.
> I've tried a variety of things, and I believe my problem boils down to
> this: I don't know where the header of the file ends and where the
> data of the file begins.
>
> Is anyone out there familiar with DTED files?  The manual seems to be
> vague...  Knowing what to trim would be most helpful.

Are you reading from a tape, or from a file?  I don't think m.dted.extract
will read from a file unless the blocking factor of 4096 is maintained.  I'm
developing code to read DTED files that are unblocked.  I have modified
m.dted.examine so that it will read the header of an unblocked file.

What results do you get using m.dted.examine as is in GRASS 4.1?  And does
your format follow the pre-1987 header format?  Have you read 'GRASS 4.0
Tutorial:  DTED and DEM Elevation Data Extraction?'

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!koerper
US EPA Environmental Research Lab
200 SW 35th St., JSB
Corvallis, OR   97333     Rush Limbaugh plucks the heartstrings of America:
(503) 754-4490                "I'm OK, because you're not!"
 fax:  (503) 754-4338