DTED file format

Jim Ludwig ludwig at cs.washington.edu
Thu Jul 8 19:49:15 EDT 1993

>> From: greg at towhee.cor2.epa.gov (Greg Koerper)

>> Are you reading from a tape, or from a file?

I'm reading from a file.

>> I don't think m.dted.extract will read from a file unless the blocking
>> factor of 4096 is maintained.

I had assumed that, because the file had already been created on disk,
it didn't need to be "extract"ed.  Was this a false assumption?  The
manual indicates that m.dted.extract is used to extract the file from
the tape.  What is a blocking factor?

>> What results do you get using m.dted.examine as is in GRASS 4.1?

I am using GRASS 4.0 and I have discovered that m.dted.examine is not
in my set of GRASS commands (I just sent mail to my sysadmin regarding
that).  On the other hand, like with m.dted.extract, the manual states
that the "examine" command is to be used in conjunction with a tape...

>> And does your format follow the pre-1987 header format?

I really don't know.  I have been using GRASS for less than a week.

>> Have you read 'GRASS 4.0 Tutorial: DTED and DEM Elevation Data
>> Extraction?'

No, but I would very much be interested in knowing where to find it...

Thanks,
  jim