clarification of an earlier posting

Ronald Thomas ront at niwot.CFNR.ColoState.EDU
Thu Jul 8 19:19:03 EDT 1993

GRASSuser's,

I made a mistake last week when "releasing" my 'r.meta' bourne shell script
to the lists: in essence I implied that I was using "officially" suggested
metadata standards, when they were, in fact, an unofficial suggestion.  Please
read the included statement, and then test the 'r.meta' script  with the
knowledge that it is an attempt by a novice programmer to address a need
that many of us have: how to document our data.

> * Ronald Thomas stated in his initial announcement of his
>   script (via the grassu-list):  "The metadata standards it
>   uses are based on the suggested METADATA file forwarded to
>   the grassu-list by USACERL a month or so ago."  Thomas
>   needs to remember that just because e-mail comes from
>   someone at USACERL does not necessarily mean that message
>   is an official statement or some sort of official GRASS
>   announcement.  USACERL *as an organization* has not suggested
>   any spatial metadata standards.

Message received and understood.

Again, please forward any suggestions about the METHODOLOGY of the script
directly to me; as to the questions asked by the script about your data;
they will be subject to revision when TRUE standards are released, and I don't
plan on making changes to the existing temporary ones until that time.

 r.meta.Z can be retrieved from picea.cfnr.colostate.edu in directory 'pub'
 via anonymous ftp. Uncompress, do a "chmod +x" to it, and give it a try.

   Ronald Thomas                         ^  ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
    Natural Resources Spec. (GIS)        ^
     Resources Management Division       ^   Phone: 303-586-3565  x285
      Rocky Mountain National Park       ^          700-323-7285  (FTS)
       Estes Park, CO  80517             ^   FAX:   303-586-4702