XGIS.sh in XGRASS

Greg Koerper greg at towhee.cor2.epa.gov
Thu Jul 29 16:28:18 EDT 1993

It seems to me somewhat incongruous that when a command line shell is selected
from the XGRASS menu, the current mapset location may bear no relationship to
the current XGRASS session.  That is, XGIS.sh reads .grassrc to set location and
mapset, whereas XGRASS is working from .xgrass/session/<current session name>.
Furthermore, the user does not have the ability to modify this setting at
time of entry, as occurs at the beginning of a standard GRASS session.

Since XGIS.sh is a shell, this would seem fairly easy to customize.  But I do
not know how to tell XGIS.sh the name of the session currently used by XGRASS.
I am also uncertain what should happen when the current database/location/mapset
condition is changed in XGRASS:  should the shell be automatically changed as
well, or remain the same as when launched (seems easy enough to kill the
shell and start a new one to put things back in parallel, so I lean toward the
latter).

It can be quite convenient to have the shell operating on a different display
window than XGRASS while both share the same current mapset.  If a user wished
to be in a distinct mapset, XGRASS could be reset after XGIS.sh is launched
as discussed above.  Seems like best of both worlds.

Opinions from users?  from OGI?  and suggestions on how I can customize
on-site ASAP?

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!koerper
US EPA Environmental Research Lab
200 SW 35th St., JSB
Corvallis, OR   97333     Rush Limbaugh plucks the heartstrings of America:
(503) 754-4490                "I'm OK, because you're not!"
 fax:  (503) 754-4338