No subject

houston at mgm.lan.mcgill.ca houston at mgm.lan.mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 4 02:18:00 EDT 1993

(5.65a/IDA-1.4.2b/CC-Guru-2b)
        id AA03364  (mail destined for houston at mgm.lan.mcgill.ca) on Thu, 3 Jun
93 15:23:57 -0400
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 13:10:50 MDT
From: Craig Anderson <caa at noaacrd.Colorado.EDU>
Sender: lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
Sender: lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil.
To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Dumb Terminals and SUN's

Craig:

>Has anyone successfully tied a dumb terminal (VT100) into a SUN in a
>manner similiar to many Image Processing Packages?  This would provide
>a vt100 terminal for keyboard entries and leave the entire SUN display
>available for graphics pane(s).

We used to run GRASS exclusively in the above dual monitor fashion, the
best driver to use for the graphics screen WAS SunCORE.  The ease
of SunCORE being that you do not need to actual log into the console
for it to work.  Additionally the SunCORE GRASS Driver was many times
faster than using either SunView or X11!  Unfortunately SUN longer
supports SunCORE, although it still comes with SunOS 4.1.3 (found in the
"/usr/old" directory and has to be installed from there).  It worked just
great on our old SUN 3s (SunOS 4.1.1) and their CG2 & CG4 Frame Buffers,
but we have troubles with our new SPARC Stations (SunOS 4.1.3) when trying
to access the CG6 Frame Buffers.  Since SUN no longer supports the SunCORE
System, they will NOT be fixing the CG6 problem (which was multiple
"HW Cursor rop error"s and a very long startup time).

We now use the X11 GRASS Drivers in a similar fashion, but a bit more
involved since you have to log into both the console and the TTY.  But
still a good setup (especially for digitizing) as it allows the console
to be full graphics screen, leaving the TTY for the ASCII Terminal
Functions.

                                      Lawrence Houston .....

|               Lawrence Houston (HOUSTON at MGM.lan.mcgill.ca)              |
|               Department of Geography - McGill University               |
|                      GGGGGGG     IIIIIII     SSSSSSS                    |
|                     G       G       I       S       S                   |
|                    G                I       S                           |
|                    G                I        SSSSSSS                    |
|                    G     GGGG       I               S                   |
|                     G       G       I       S       S                   |
|                      GGGGGGGG    IIIIIII     SSSSSSS                    |