Returned mail: Service unavailable (fwd)

Hendrik K. Meij meij at pop.psu.edu
Wed Jun 16 08:36:00 EDT 1993

 > >       Do I need Motif to compile and run XGrass?
                                      ^^^
 > Yes, you do...

 Neither answer is informative...

 Mr F. Villa (villa at eagle.bio.unpri.it) helped me out quite a bit so here are
 my experiences. One does not need Motif to run xgrass4.1. In order to
 COMPILE xgrass4.1 at compile run-time, it IS needed. But there is another
 way. Compile grass4.1 without motif. Next grab all the sun4static binary
 SPARC release modules and lift out the statically linked xgrass4.1 and
 insert it into your compiled xgrass4.1. Works like charm ... on a Sparc10.

 Basically, after unpacking the sun4static release, move xgrass4.1 and
 xgdatabasse to $UNIX_BIN. <unpack_dir>/etc/x* to $GISBASE/etc. I also moved
 <unpack_dir>/bin/x* to $GISBASE/bin. Next you're ready to run.

 May I support Mr. Villa in suggesting the posting of a xgrass4.1 binary
 release as a stand alone unit. Unpacking 72 1MB chunks for xgrass4.1 is
 quite a flow of bytes ...

 -Henk                                           email:  meij at pop.psu.edu
                                                 voice:  814.863.7375
    Penn State.                                   fax :  814.863.8342 (w)
    Population Research Institute.                       814.238.6585 (h)
    System Administrator & Statistical Programmer.