khoros junkmail

Joe Vaughan jkv at dust.atmo.arizona.edu
Thu May 13 16:29:12 EDT 1993

> >To: grassu-list at amber.cecer.army.mil
> >Subject: khoros junkmail
> >
> >I wish to go on record as protesting the posting of the entire khoros
> >FAQ list on the grassusers list.  A simple address to the location of
> >the khoros internet node containing the FAQs would have been sufficient.
> >
> >Anyone else out there resent this?
> >
> >Liz
>
> I'll second this protest.  In fact, I don't think any entry to a general mail
> list should be NOT more than 50 to 70 lines, period.
>
> While I'm at it, I'll also flame those who have rediculous signatures.
>
> But I don't know what we can do about it other than an occasional
> reminder of their sins.
>
> Maybe we can get CERL to fix the re-mailer so it will only spit back
> the first 50 lines.
>
> Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
> voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
>   fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027

Friends,

While I agree that it is occasionally inconvenient to receive large postings of
a speculative value, I don't think that an arbitrary line limit of 50 to 70
would necessarily serve us well.  However, it might be very useful to some users
to have a limit which they could set via a list server command and which would
apply only to their own mail receipts.

Would creation of such a new list server command be a possibility?

Personally, I don't see a problem with the use of signature files of a modest
size.  And I certainly enjoy some that I see!  And while some signatures may
appear 'rediculous', the recipient can always dispose of them along with the
messages to which they are appended.

Thank You,

|     _______        __    __     Joseph K. Vaughan                 |
|       /             |   /       Institute of Atmospheric Physics  |
|      /  ___  __     |  /        University of Arizona             |
| \   /  /  / /__\    | /         PAS Bldg, Rm 464                  |
|  ---  /__/  \__     |/ o        Tucson, AZ    85721               |
| jkv at air.atmo.arizona.edu        602/621-9663                      |