[GEOL1: 386bsd]

Nick Reddingius nredding at BBN.COM
Fri May 14 12:32:27 EDT 1993

Jim Hinthorne writes:

>  Is anyone using 386bsd?  How about with X11R5?  If so, could you help us
>  get the X11 running with a video card that uses the S3 chipset?
>  If we can get this done, it looks like a good bet for a zero cost version
>  of Unix for 386-486 platforms.

This reminds me to post a long overdue message.  We (BBN) have been
doing a good amount of work with the SCO 386 version using Motif.
The military version (DESKTOP III) has a nasty surprise.  The malloc()
routines linked in without specifying the alternative library is not
POSIX (or X-Window) compatible.  Horrible memory problems will result.
Also, the X and Motif are old (so old you can't get documentation) and
exceedingly buggy.  I don't know if the commercial version is any
better, but if you are trying to do things in Motif on a DESKTOP III
machine, be forewarned!

Nick