grass4.1 first execution problem

Agustin Lobo lobo at Jasper.Stanford.EDU
Sat May 15 15:04:41 EDT 1993

I have installed grass4.1 after relocating some *.h files that were not
where they were suppossed to be. In my head file the variable GISBASE was set
to /usr/local/src/grass4.1/sun4 (/usr/local/src/grass4.1 being the GIS variable).
The problem is that althoug the directory $GISBASE/bin was created, it's
empty and the actual programs are under $GISBASE/etc/bin/main/cmd and $GISBASE/etc/bin/main/inter.
Then, when I first started grass4.1, the GIS.sh script ended with an error
because it could not find g.gisenv.
I looked into the file grass4.1 and GISBASE is set there to its value. Then I
edited GIS.sh and could see that the path is set for $GISBASE/bin (and some others).
I decided to add $GISBASE/etc/bin/main to the PATH in GIS.sh and grass4.1 seems to work by now.
 Anyway I don't know if this is a proper solution (might I have other
problems in the future?) or may be I should move the programs to $GISBASE/bin.
Could I get any advice?
Thanks,
Agus.