xgrass and motif

Agustin Lobo agust at pac0.Princeton.EDU
Tue May 18 10:56:47 EDT 1993

> X Window AND Motif means you need both. Motif is a display manager
and
> widget kit running on top of X. Is should be clear to everybody as it
> stands, provided they know what Motif is.

No, I disagree. Splus is also an application that, for graphic
management, is based on X Window AND Motif (as well as othe gui's) and
nevertheless you can run it only with X11 (I do it). The requirements
statement has to be clear and at the begining of the manuals and it is
not. Furthermore: the grass4.1 installation guide, which is also now
the xgrass installation guide, does not mention any further
requirements for running xgrass besides the ones you need for grass. I
do not blame anybody for having developped xgrass based on Motif: I
just say the requirements have to be explicitilly listed.

BTW: I can run Splus within the grass4.1 session. I think I'll be able
to create Splus functions calling grass4.1 programs, which is nice
because S has a nice high-level language that is lacking in grass.

Agus.