GRASS on DEC equipment

Joe Vaughan jkv at dust.atmo.arizona.edu
Thu May 27 13:21:18 EDT 1993

> We have two Decstations 5000/120 and 5000/200 that run Ultrix 4.2 and
> other machines running VAX/VMS 5.5.
>
> If anyone has any experience of installing GRASS on such machinery, could
> they express an opinion as to which of these it would be easiest to put GRASS
> on, and point me the way of any relevant literature concerning such a
> procedure.
>
> | Dave Haddock                          |
> | MSC9309 at GEOVAX.ED.AC.UK               |
> | Department of Geography               |
> | Drummond Street                       |
> | Edinburgh                             |
> | EH8 9XP  SCOTLAND                     |

Dave,

GRASS 4.0 built without too much difficulty in our Ultrix system, DEC5000s.  I
recall that the 4.0 makefiles had some minor syntactic problems.  I recall that
someone at Central Washington University, Dave Satnik, offers support for GRASS
on DEC mcahines, at a competative cost.  I wouldn't think putting GRASS on your
VAX VMS machine is an option-- GRASS is very UNIX.

Good Luck,

--
|     _______        __    __     Joseph K. Vaughan                 |
|       /             |   /       Institute of Atmospheric Physics  |