Has anyone run GRASS on Solaris2.2/Sparc LX's?

McCauley Technical Services darrellmy at ids.net
Sat May 29 04:57:49 EDT 1993

"A. L. Wise" (WISE at UNCMVS.OIT.UNC.EDU) writes on 19 May 93:
>Hello GRASS Users!
>Does anyone have experience running GRASS on the Sparcstation LX's
>with Solaris 2.2?  If so, were there any difficulties or strange
>contortions that you had to work through?  If not, would you
>anticipate any problems doing so?  Thanks in advance for your

Here's my compilation notes for Solaris 2.1:

 . Several of the digitizer drivers wouldn't compile, but I
   didn't look seriously at these since I didn't need them.
   #src/mapdev/digitizers/geograph
   #src/mapdev/digitizers/hitachi
   #src/mapdev/digitizers/numonics

 . Same for paint drivers
   #src/paint/Drivers/diablo.c150
   #src/paint/Drivers/tek4697
   #src/paint/Drivers/xerox4020

 . a few programs required minor changes (like changing index()
   to strchr()). There were only two or three - I didn't write
   them down.

 . xgrass didn't compile, but I'm not supporting this so
   I may not bother. If I get it going, I'll try to remember
   the post the diffs.

 . The most important change (or at least one that most everyone
   would be interested in) was with the XDRIVER. It wouldn't
   compile unless I changed the setpgrp(0, getpid()) to setpgrp()
   (it gave a warning, as did calls to signal(), but it eventually
   crashed after several warnings. I'm not sure why this one change
   worked).
   Also note that in your 'head' (I called it sVr4), you need:
   XEXTRALIBS          = -lsocket -lnsl
   I'm still testing things out right now. I'm not sure if this
   if this is due to our poor overloaded network (we're adding a
   few dozen LXs), but I get:
   > Warning - no response from graphics monitor <x0>.
   > Check to see if the mouse is still active.
   quite often (I'm running it remotely). I recall that there
   may be some timing fudge-factors in dealing with the fifos -
   maybe these need to be changed for the LX's (which run a heckuva
   a lot slower than the Sparc 2s).
   BTW, I linked with X11R5, not openwin.

 . the 'tset' needs to be fixed in GIS.sh. I've left it unfixed.
   (I run grass in an tcsh in an xterm (vt102 emulator) and have not have
   problems - I don't know about the openwin shelltool/cmdtool)
--
James Darrell McCauley                          phone: 317.497.4757
McCauley Technical Services             internet: darrellmy at ids.net
P.O. Box 2485               West Lafayette, Indiana 47906-0485, USA